Thursday, September 8, 2011

Health and Wellness Goals Revisited



Going home to visit my family is always a lot of fun, but I always feel like I need to cleanse and rejuvenate my body when I get back. We spent six days eating and drinking too much and not exercising. We usually eat a healthy diet with very little meat and virtually no fried foods when we’re at home in Santa Fe so as much fun as it is to indulge while on vacation, our bodies are in shock!

This seems like a good time to revisit my health and wellness goals for the year. I set these for myself in January, and I’ve been doing really well and I think I’ve accomplished a lot. I’m pleased with my results, and I feel a lot healthier than I did in January.

Here were my goals in January and my progress:

Start exercising: Yes! We bought a membership to our local community center in January, and we started going to the gym 5-6 days per week. It has been a huge stress reliever, and I feel great. My core strength has improved significantly, and I can even see muscles in my body! I have been going about 3-4 times per week this summer. The center was closed for the week before Labor Day for maintenance so that didn’t help anything, but I’m looking forward to getting back on track this week.

Lose 15 pounds: Nope, but I’m ok with that. Honestly, when I set my fitness goals in January, I was primarily motivated by losing weight. I’ve gained 15 pounds since moving to New Mexico, and when I saw the scale at my doctor’s visit, I kind of freaked out. But as I’ve been working out these past 8 months, I’ve been able to let the weight issue go. I feel healthier, my clothes fit better and I’m much stronger so whatever I weigh, I’m happy.

Cook healthy weekday meals that incorporate lots of vegetables: Yes. We’ve grown a lot in our garden this summer, and we share a weekly CSA basket with our neighbors so we have access to a variety of fresh veggies. I’ve been very good about making most weekday meals vegetarian, and when we do eat meat, I always load up the plate with lots of veggie sides.

Eliminate refined sugar for a month and then eat very little: Yes. This was successful. I gave up sugar, and I didn’t miss it too much, except for yogurt. I don’t monitor this very carefully anymore because I’ve found that a month without refined sugars has made my palette very sensitive to sweet foods and drinks. I can barely tolerate any sugar these days

Don’t drink any soda: Yes, mostly. It’s rare that I drink it, but sometimes I’ll order a coke to have some caffeine. Gross, I know.

Ski as much as possible in January (our ski passes were for January only) and Improve my skiing: Yes! We skied our butts off in January, and I’ve improved a lot. I started skiing two years ago, and I’ve been very deliberate to learn the proper technique and push myself slowly to try harder runs. I now feel comfortable on all of the blue slopes on the mountain in Santa Fe, and I even tried moguls. This past year, I even did a (very, very) short black run that was quite steep.

Make a good effort to improve my mountain biking skills: Not so much. The forests have been closed most of the summer so I couldn’t do my favorite trail or try any new ones. We did do some mountain biking in the open space near town, but it was pretty easy, even for me. This will be a priority again for the fall and for next year.

Hike Santa Fe Baldy and Wheeler Peak: No. Again, the forests were closed so we couldn’t do these or most other hikes until a few weeks ago. They’ll be on the list again for next year.

Goals for September and Beyond

Continue exercising: 45 minutes of Cardio 3 days/week and 2 days of weights; increase my weights to continue to push myself

Start swimming at least one day per week: Even though I took swimming lessons growing up, I’m very uncomfortable in the water. I feel anxious when I’m in water over my head, and I’ll do just about anything to avoid it. I’d like to work on this fear, and for my own safety, feel more confident in the water.

Commute by bike at least 4 days per week


Continue cooking healthy meals


Only drink on the weekends


Limit meat consumption to 1-2 times per week


Limit eating out to once per week – this is as much for our budget as it is for being healthy

Walk the dog girls each night before bed


Continue acupuncture treatments and taking herbs for my allergies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...