Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Fall Winds Blew My List of Things To Do Away

Well, not totally, but this weekend, at least, they did.

One of the things I love most about spending time at the mesa is the chance to totally unplug and unwind. This is not something I do often. I always have several to do lists going, and when I’m at home I have a hard time shutting my brain off. I want to go, go, go. I like to get things done, and I like being productive. So, having a place where I don’t do much is necessary for my sanity.

It starts with the drive up there. Once we get past Espanola and descend into Velarde and enter the canyon with its steep walls and the Rio Grande flowing next to the road, my heart rate drops. After about forty-five minutes in the canyon, we cross the river and ascend up to the canyon rim. And when we turn off of the rim road toward Two Peaks, I feel like a different person.


No rules to follow, no people to see, no email to check and no tv to watch. It’s a perfect place for cooking, reading, knitting, writing and napping. This is the only place where I feel like I can totally let go and not worry about what I’m not doing.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it awesome? We're totally to-do list people and usually go up to the cabin with a lengthy one. ...and then only one thing (maybe) gets done. And neither of us really seem to mind. (This is the post I'm planning on writing tonight...so more on this over at 3UpAdventures tomorrow.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is awesome! We have so much we could do (and would like to do someday) at the cabin, but somehow getting nothing done feels ok up there. At home, I'm always rushing around doing stuff, and up there, I can just let go. The pump isn't working? No problem, we'll just make due without running water for now. I can't manage that kind of laid back attitude at home.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...