Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I've Got Friends in Low Places*

My Favorite Friends in Low Places**

October is Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month – a cause near to my heart.***

I grew up with dogs from a breeder that my parents bought, and they were wonderful, loyal companions that I loved so much, but I have since seen the light. Andrew grew up with shelter dogs and cats so when he wanted to adopt Lola we went to the Humane Society. I had never been to a shelter before, and it broke my heart. There were several older dogs whose owners had surrendered them after being deployed to Iraq, lots of mama dogs with litters of puppies, and so many sweet, healthy and unwanted dogs. After that visit, I was committed to adopting rather than buying.


I’ve never known more loyal and grateful dogs than Lola and Elsa. The morning after I adopted Elsa, I opened the door to her kennel. She slowly walked out, stretched, and when I said good morning girl!, she looked up at me, in what I interpreted as surprise, and started jumping up and down on her back legs licking my face. I could tell that she was so excited that I was still there.

If you’re thinking of getting a dog or cat, please adopt rather than buy. You’ll be saving the life of the animal you adopt and the life of another stray because you’ll be freeing up a space at the shelter. I read on the Humane Society website that between three and four million dogs and cats are euthanized each year because too many people are surrendering their pets and too few people adopt from shelters.


*where the kisses drown and the fur chases my blues away… Andrew and I think this would be a great marketing campaign for the Humane Society. Kinda cheesy but I think it’s pretty cute.

**When Andrew spent a summer working in Arizona a few years ago, he spent hours driving around the national forests to do field work and the only radio stations that had reception in the remote areas were country stations. So once in a while he’ll listen to country music on Pandora, and we’ve discovered that line dancing around the kitchen is super fun. We don’t actually know how to line dance, but we improvise, and this song is my favorite!

***Note to the reader(s) who want to get their very own dog and now have their own house and everything, this would be a great month to do it!!

2 comments:

  1. Heh heh, I think the *** comment was partly for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was for you. Now's the month. Can't wait to meet the new doggie!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...