Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Feast 2005

November is right around the corner, and that means Thanksgiving!

I never liked Thanksgiving growing up. We had to drive out of town to family’s house, and I had to sit at a kids table, and football was always on the tv. I didn’t care much for the food either. It was fine and all, but I didn’t understand what everyone else was making such a big deal about. Dried out turkey, potatoes from a box and cranberry from a can…no thanks!

The summer before my oldest friend and I left to spend a year in France teaching English, she knew she was really going to miss Thanksgiving dinner with her family. Her mom decided that we needed a proper Thanksgiving dinner for the year so she made us one in August. About half way through dinner, my mom and I looked at each other and said, This is why people love Thanksgiving so much! It was perfection. Nice tender and moist turkey and so many tasty veggie sides (made with real ingredients!). And her pumpkin pie – wowzer is that a doosie!

Ever since that year, I love Thanksgiving. We have some classics that we make every year – Andrew’s family’s sweet potatoes and Rosie’s mom’s pumpkin pie – but there are so many sides and salads to try that I usually make some new recipes every year.

Since Thanksgiving meal planning has already started at our house, I thought I’d share some of my favorite recipes over the next few weeks. I know Thanksgiving is still a month away, but I like to start with plenty of time so I can plan out the menu and make adjustments. I end up with epic grocery lists and trips all around town to get everything, but it’s worth it.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait for your recipes! Collin's family loves football and it will be on when we go to his parents' house for Thanksgiving this year. My family always plays games and eats pie. It'll be a a change for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm going to start tomorrow with appetizers. It's a big change for sure to spend holidays at the in-laws' house, but it's also fun to start new traditions and join your spouse's traditions. I like getting to join in activities that Andrew has grown up doing. It's another whole layer to getting to know each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally alternate between hoping we'll go to Moab for Thanksgiving and hoping that we'll spend it just the two of us (and Sprocket) cuddled up at home.

    Thanksgiving always paled in comparison to Christmas for me growing up but now? It's sort of a guilt free holiday for us to do our own thing because our families aren't as sad we're not there. Also, it's the start of the holidays season!! (Um, yes, I totally watch the Macy's parade every year.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - both of your thanksgiving options sound great! I feel the same way about Thanksgiving as a guilt-free holiday and it's so nice to have the freedome to do whatever we want, but it puts more pressure on Christmas holidays since it is the one time of year that both our families want to see us.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...