Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Comfort Curry


Starting a new job is always overwhelming for me - so many people to meet and new things to learn.  I find it emotionally and physically exhausting, and I can't believe it's only Wednesday.  Every night (both of them) this week, Andrew and I have come home and debriefed on what happened that day and talked about the new jobs. 

By last night, even though it was only Tuesday, I was in serious need of some comfort food.  I wasn't up for going out for Indian food so I made this curry dish, which I think is awesome.  It fit the bill perfectly, and it is a quick and easy recipe for a week night.  I made it with chicken like the recipe calls for, but next time, I'm going to use tofu.

Chicken Curry with Cashews
adapted from epicurious

3 Tbsp. butter
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced (I left this out because Andrew doesn't like ginger)
3 Tbsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. salt (I used only about 1/2 a tsp. and then seasoned to taste before serving)
1/2 - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (I used 1 tsp. + and it could have been a lot hotter.  Next time, I'll use more)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 cup cashews
3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt

Heat butter in large skillet.  Saute onions, garlic and ginger until softened.  Add curry powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Cook 2-3 minutes until fragrant.  Add chicken and stir to coat with spices.  Add tomatoes with their juices and half of the cilantro.  Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.  Finely chop the cashews (or grind them in a food processor depending on preferences).  When chicken is cooked through, stir in the yogurt, remaining cilantro and salt to taste.  Stir over low heat until slightly thickened.  Serve with basmati rice.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds nice, I'll give this recipe a try when the weather gets a bit colder here!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...