Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hotdish (or Midwestern casserole, if you will)


I recently went to potluck with co-workers, and when I asked what I could bring this was the email I received:

Hi Meghan – I’m making my famous green chile stew, but we could use another main dish. Can you bring a Midwestern casserole (I think you call it hotdish). Ann [another coworker who is from Iowa] puts tater tots in hers. Your choice though – whatever you want to bring is great.

Well, being the good Minnesotan that I am, I couldn’t deny this guy and my other coworkers Midwestern casserole.

For those of you who don’t know what hotdish is (this surprises me because it’s so common where I come from, but even my very own husband had never heard of hotdish before he met me), Wikipedia defines hotdish as:

Hotdish is a variety of baked casserole that typically contains a starch, a meat or other protein, and a canned and/ or frozen vegetable, mixed together with canned soup. The dish is popular in Minnesota. (You can read the full entry here.)

The thing is, though, I didn’t have my own recipe for hotdish. GASP! I know! I thought about looking online or in my Minnesota State Fair recipes book, but recipes that call for a can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom or cream of anything gross me out to no end. I just couldn’t stomach the thought of mixing cans of soup with noodles and topping with tots. Eeeew!

So, here is a healthier version of hotdish with whole ingredients and no cans of cream of anything! I used a recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook - hippie hotdish as Andrew calls it - and added a Minnesotan touch of potato chips on top.  It was a big hit at the potluck, and I had enough to make a second smaller casserole, which I served to some other Midwesterners who practically licked their plates. I’d say my first attempt at hotdish was a success.



Broccoli Mushroom Noodle Hotdish
adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook

Ingredients
1 1-lb (or 12 oz) package wide flat egg noodles
2 Tbs butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped onion
1 large bunch fresh broccoli, chopped
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
½ tsp salt
Fresh black pepper to taste
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups (1 ½ lbs) cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 ½ cups fine bread crumbs
1 cup (packed) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed potato chips (preferably with ridges)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 baking pan (I had enough filling for a 6x6 baking pan too). Cook noodles until half done. Drain and rinse with cold water and set aside. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add onions and garlic and sauté until soft. Add broccoli, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Stir frequently until broccoli is bright green and just tender. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, beat together eggs, cottage cheese and sour cream. Add noodles, sautéed vegetables and 1 cup of bread crumbs. Mix well. Spread into prepared pan and top with remaining bread crumbs, shredded cheese and crushed potato chips. Bake covered for 30 minutes; uncovered for 15 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Funny, midwestern casserole!

    I remember when Edd first learned about hotdish. He tried to call it "hot DISH" (with the emphasis on "dish")...he was swiftly corrected.

    This is a nice alternative to the canned soup version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny about hot DISH! Glad he's on track now. This one is super good, and pretty healthy in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww--- looks like they loved it!

    the potato chip topping was a nice touch. very Minnesotan of you :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...