Sunday, December 4, 2011

Nicaragua Highlights

We’re back, and our trip was awesome! I had pretty high expectations for this vacation, and they were all exceeded. There was lots of time for relaxing, reading, thinking, and it was a very reflective trip. I have a lot that I’ve been thinking about and want to write about – thoughts on why we travel and on trying to be a paradise people and on getting a good hold on my 30s, but for now, here are some highlights from the trip.

Walking among thousands of nesting Olive Ridley turtles under the full moon on La Flor beach.


Catching a barracuda bigger than me! We also caught Jacks, White Tuna, Black Tuna, Little Fish, and lots of Mackerel, which our captain used to make the freshest and best ceviche I’ve ever tasted.


Loads of fresh fruit and juices.


Watching the sunset on the shore of Lake Nicaragua and seeing fireflies for the first time in almost 20 years.


Climbing the Maderas Volcano and hiking through the cloud forest, which was so different than anywhere I’ve ever been. It was magical.


Kayaking through the marshy Rio Istian on Ometepe Island under the two towering volcanoes.


Doing nothing on the plages sauvages of Little Corn Island for a long, decadent week.


Exploring Leon with our newest Nicaraguan friend who was a guerrilla fighter during the revolution and hearing his personal stories about the history of the country.


 Lots of leisurely sunsets drinking Victoria and Tonas.

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Traveling is always a great chance to reflect and get some perspective. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You know, I hadn't really realized what a good chance it would be to take a step back and reflect on things. When I'm at home, I just go, go, go, but this was such a great opportunity to get some perspective as you say and think about priorities and goals.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...