Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Nicaragua: An Our People Place


I’ve only traveled in Western Europe before so it was a real treat to travel to someplace new and so different. One thing that really stood out on this trip was that the only Americans we met were from the West. A surprising number were from New Mexico – we met folks from Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Socorro, Silver City, Taos, and even Farmington. And on top of that, the Europeans, Australians, and South Americans we met had all either been to New Mexico or wanted to go there.

This was surprising to me because when I go home to Minnesota or go to national conferences in the East, I often receive a blank stare from people when I tell them I live in Santa Fe. An alarming number of people think that Santa Fe is in fact the same as San Jose or that Santa Fe is in Arizona and we have weather like Phoenix. You wouldn’t believe (or maybe you would if you live in the West) how many people think we don’t have trees in New Mexico and are really surprised to hear we have mountains and skiing.

I definitely do not go out of my way to meet loads of new people while traveling so I figure that if even I met all of those people from New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon and California, there must be a lot of us traveling in Nicaragua.

1 comment:

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...