Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spicy Tomato Soup with Blue Cheese


It seems like a couple of years ago, sriracha sauce was popping up everywhere. I had never cooked with it before, but all of a sudden, it was in all sorts of recipes I wanted to try. Bon App├ętit even announced that it was the official condiment of 2010 (well, maybe that was just me, but they definitely profiled it as a head turner that year). One of my favorite recipes that I discovered during that sriracha frenzy of 2010 is this one for spicy tomato soup with blue cheese. Spicy and creamy and velvety! Yum!  I learned about this recipe from Maggie over at the Freckled Citizen.

I believe that 2010 was also the year I discovered the immersion blender, an absolute kitchen necessity (in my opinion) for anyone who is blending soups. No need to mess with the blender or food processor, pouring large boiling pots of soup back and forth and making a big mess. The immersion blender is a breeze and really shows off its stuff in this recipe. Seriously, if you don’t already have one, go buy one now. They are super affordable and save a ton of time and mess.


 Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup
adapted from Michael Symon's Live to Cook via Maggie
Ingredients
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
Kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, with their juice
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cups heavy cream
2 Tbs sriracha sauce
1 Tbs fresh oregano leaves
1/2 cup of the creamiest blue cheese you can find (buttermilk is best)

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.  When oil is hot, add the onion and a three-fingered pinch of salt and sweat for two minutes, stirring frequently. (Onions should be sizzling gently.) Add the garlic and continue to sweat for 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes, their juice and stock and bring to a simmer with a small pinch of salt. Gently break apart the tomatoes with a spatula. Add the cream, sriracha sauce and oregano and simmer for 45 minutes.

Add the blue cheese and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve with crusty french bread and a green salad.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, this sounds perfect for chilly days. And I got an immersion blender for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immersion blenders are good for making baby food, too! (I still haven't bought one. I am overwhelmed by the appliances in my kitchen...) I might change my mind this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about having lots of appliances, but immersion blenders hardly take up any space and they're easy to use and clean up. I use mine frequently for soups and sauces.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...