Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cheddar Pie Crust Recipe

This savory pie crust recipe is amazing! I found it in an old Everyday Food issue where it was recommended for apple pie, and it does shine in apple pie. But, everyone I have served the apple pie to has said that the crust would be well suited for quiche so I tried it this weekend. It did not disappoint! I made a caramelized onion, spinach, and roasted cherry tomato quiche with this crust, and it was so good that I had to write about it.

Before baking

Yum!

Thank you, my loyal little cooking companion!

Cheddar Pie Crust
Adapted from Everyday Food November 2008


Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/ 4 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp sugar
4/5 stick cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
2 Tbs+ ice water

In a food processor, briefly pulse flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter and cheese; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-sized pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with two tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly, but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to two tablespoons water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time).  Don't overmix.

On a floured surface, roll dough to 14-inch round with a floured rolling pin. Unroll over a 9-inch pie plate. Gently fit into the bottom and sides of plate (do not stretch dough). Using kitchen shears, trim dough to a 1-inch overhang. Fold under itself to form a rim and press seal. Using thumb and forefinger, crimp a rim of crust. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to one day.

Use crust for quiche or apple pie (double recipe for two crusts) and enjoy!

Caramelized onion, spinach, and roasted cherry tomato quiche

4 comments:

  1. Share the quiche recipe too?? That looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Share the quiche recipe too?? That looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, Meghan! I'm going to try it out. But my favorite part, of course, is the pic of the cutest little cooking companion in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Beth - I kind of winged it on the quiche recipe, but I'll write up what I did and post it.

    And, Rosie - that photo of Elsa was for you. I know you think we need more Elsa photos around here! I promise more to come.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...