Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Conversation I've Been Avoiding

To lighten the mood and make me smile: Elsa after she cut her back at the cabin last summer

Last fall I wrote about the difficult conversation(s) we need to have about our long term plans for our cabin. At the time, I was able to successfully convince my husband that this conversation needed to wait until after our busy fall, after the holidays, after we switched jobs and got settled. Well, that time is now, and honestly, I still don’t want to have the conversation. I see a lot of value in having it and making a plan and committing one way or the other, but I just can’t bring myself to deal with this.

It’s going to be hard and messy, and it may lead to a big change. I tend to avoid change, but this could be a good one. One that frees us up to do other stuff and accomplish big life goals.

My gut feeling is that we should keep the cabin, but I don’t know if I feel that way because I really do want to commit to keeping it or because I don’t want to change my plans and take a risk and close the door on this path that we worked to flippin’ hard to open for ourselves.

As hard as it is going to be, I’m going to commit to starting the conversation.

5 comments:

  1. Don't sell it yet!! I want to visit you and seeee itt! :-)

    But really, whatever you decide, I really hope it's best for you and Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Beth. But have the conversations and the right thing will shake out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. If we do decide to sell it, I think it will be a long process so there will be plenty of time to still have visitors. So come on down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is such a hard decision. Any chance you could rent it out occasionally? That could be a compromise or a transition step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought about doing that at one point, but it is really remote and rustic, and whoever stays there needs to have good way finding skills (no marked roads), high clearance, and a good bit of know how. We let a friend of a friend stay once and she almost blew it up because she didn't light the pilot light in the oven all weekend. That kind of turned us off from that.

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...