Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake

When I was home in Minneapolis last May, I went to an amazing dinner with my friends Rosie and Carolyn at Bar La Grassa. We drank champagne and feasted on gnocchi with cauliflower and orange and pasta negra with sea urchin and mussels, and when it came time to decide on dessert, I wanted to order the grapefruit olive oil cake. Rosie wisely advised that we could make excellent grapefruit olive oil cake at home any day, and we should pick something more exotic. I reluctantly agreed, trusting that Rosie does not mess around when it comes to making important decisions about food, and we ordered something else more exciting. The next day, she sent me this recipe, and it is true folks. Grapefruit olive oil cake at home is easy and delicious. That Rosie is a smart cookie!

I received grapefruit in my CSA veggie basket last week, and it was so fragrant that it just called out for something exciting and refreshing. I made this cake for a dinner party last weekend, and it was a hit. I love the tartness of the citrus and the moistness of the olive oil. The only thing I changed was to use the juice from the whole grapefruit instead of just 1/4 cup.



Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake


1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 kosher salt
1 large grapefruit, zest and 1/2 cup juice reserved
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (use a midrange priced version here, nothing too fancy)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

On a clean cutting board, combine the sugar and grapefruit zest in one pile. Using a bench scraper, work the zest into the sugar until completely combined. Transfer grapefruit sugar to a large bowl. Add the buttermilk and 1/4 cup of grapefruit juice to the bowl and whisk until combined. Add in the eggs and olive oil and whisk again until combined. With a rubber spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until all of the flour is mixed into the wet ingredients. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not over bake or the cake will become dry. Allow cake to cool for 5 minutes in the pan set on a wire rack. After 5 minutes, remove cake from pan and allow it to cool to room temperature on the wire rack. Slice and enjoy.

serves 8

4 comments:

  1. You are getting CSA food in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, apparently I'm not that smart, because I completely forgot about this recipe and have never made it! That is about to change, because I am making it tonight! I just got a grapefruit from the store, since I unfortunately do not get CSA citrus in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Perry is requesting a post about this amazing-sounding CSA you're getting. (Perry reads your blog almost as much as I do! He loves it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that a CSA basket in the winter was unusual. I'll do a post about it the next time I pick one up.

    Rosie - What??? I thought you had sent me a trusted recipe! I've made it about a half dozen times, and it is awesome. Let me know what you think.

    And, I'm so excited that Perry is reading! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...