Monday, February 27, 2012

Ice Ice Baby


Please bear with me as I write about more lessons from high elevation. 

I was having an off day on Saturday. Since I've been sick, I haven't been skiing much for the past two weeks ever since my breakthrough weekend, and I was a little worried that I'd lose the magic. I was also feeling tired and grumpy - not a great attitude for someone who gets to spend all weekend on top of a gorgeous mountain. Anyway, it was pretty icy, and on my first run I was having trouble making my turns and digging in and my boot was pinching my leg and it all felt super disappointing. I cursed the icy snow, and Andrew told me that was the great thing about skiing because even once you learn how to do it well there will always be different conditions to maneuver. At the time I was a little annoyed, but I'm thankful for his positive energy. On the next lift up, I told him that all this ice was shaking my confidence, and we decided that Ice Ice Baby would be our theme for the day. Andrew spent the rest of the day singing that for me on the lifts. That was a nice treat.

The snow softened up of course, and the weather was great, but I just wasn't feeling it all day. I felt like since I hadn't been practicing that I had digressed and would have to relearn what I was doing confidently three weeks earlier. That seems silly, but that's what I kept thinking.

We went back up on Sunday, and we had an awesome day. My boot problem was fixed and my attitude was better and I viewed the less than perfect conditions as a new challenge. I know I continued to improve this weekend, and by yesterday afternoon, I was already linking together more turns on the moguls than I had been three weeks earlier in the fresh snow.

4 comments:

  1. I vividly remember singing *Nsync to my sister (4 years younger than me) on the slopes when I was in Jr. high. (What song? I have no idea...)

    She'd tagged along with me and my cousins and her big sister and cousins *may* have gotten her in over her head. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singing and skiing go so well together! We do lots of singing on the mountain.

      Delete
  2. I often have a bad attitide until I really look at the view and take it in. I am glad you are having skiing breakthroughs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the VIEW! Every time I get off the lift at the top of the mountain I am blown away at how frickin' gorgeous it is. We are lucky to live in such a pretty place.

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...