Sunday, March 18, 2012

Raspberry White Chocolate Scones

I woke up at five on Saturday morning and couldn't fall back asleep. I had been eying this recipe for raspberry scones all week, and I decided that I might as well get up and start our weekend off with some baked goodness. Unfortunately, the only grocery open that early wasn't very well stocked so I had to substitute low fat ricotta (ugh!) and use frozen raspberries, but these were still excellent.

Baking at 6:00 am. I promise it is worth it.

I'm not a huge fan of traditional scones. They are usually too dry for me, but these are moist and rich. In addition to being delicious, they are also really easy and quick to make. I usually don't like baking on weekend mornings because I find it so time consuming that it eats into my day, but these are a breeze.

The only modification I made was to add white chocolate chips to try to recreate scones from a restaurant in Albuquerque that we went to often for breakfast when we lived there.  They have amazing, moist, buttery raspberry scones with white chocolate. It's too far to go for scones now that we live in Santa Fe, but I was hoping so badly that these could live up to the Gold Street's scones. And they did! I think they even surpassed Gold Street!!

This is an awesome way to start any morning.



You'll be the envy of your friends!


 And they will make you and everyone you share them with happy!


Raspberry White Chocolate Scones

Ingredients
¾ cup whole milk ricotta
⅓ cup heavy cream
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
½ cup white chocolate chips

Adjust a rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. In a large measuring cup, combine the ricotta and heavy cream. Combine the flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt in the food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is cut into pea-sized pieces. Add the raspberries and pulse a few times to break them down. Add the ricotta mixture and chocolate; pulse just until the dough is evenly moistened but still looks crumbly. 

Transfer the dough to a well-floured work surface and pat into a ball. Knead the dough a few times, then pat it out into a 7-inch square that is about 1-inch thick. Cut the dough into 9 squares. Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown around the bottom edges, 16-20 minutes. Transfer the scones to a wire rack and cool about 10 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, yum! I used to not love scones but our favorite coffee shop makes scones that are more moist and light like you're talking about and we're addicted. these look awesome, perfect start to the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you were baking that early on Saturday! Looks like it was worth it, those scones sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...