Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The American Star

Just one more reason my new job is a better fit for me - I spent two days last week at our City's water fiesta teaching fourth graders about healthy rivers. It was so fun being around the kiddies.

Before I moved to New Mexico I taught English to eight to twelve year olds in France, and it was so frickin' much fun. Being around the fourth graders this week brought back lots of sweet memories.

I loved my students, and they loved me, which I loved even more. One of my students once told me so sincerely - and this is an exact translation - that she loved me almost as much as she loved her own mother. If that doesn't make your heart melt, then I don't know what will.

I taught at four different schools in town, and one day my English lesson coincided with a field trip to see an assembly downtown so I attended with my students. As it turned out, all of the schools in town were attending the same event. When I got off of the bus with one of my classes, all of my other students from the other schools started waving and cheering and yelling my name (it was a really small town and being a foreigner was a real novelty and of course English was everyone's favorite class). One of the teachers turned to me and said, "C'est Mégane, notre star Américaine!" (It's Meghan, our American star!)

2 comments:

  1. That's so sweet!

    Teaching kids is fun, I love my piano students who are 5-10 year olds. One of my past students used to chase my car down the street, waving, when I left - so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...