Sunday, April 29, 2012

Planning for the Summer Garden


Only two weeks until our last frost date here in Santa Fe. Like usual, it has sneaked up on me. I still need to uncover the raised beds, prep the soil by adding some more compost, and make my garden plan. I should have already planted my lettuces, beets and radishes, but this is supposed to be fun so I'm not going to worry about it.

I did manage to plan ahead on my seed starts. Most people tell me that they don't have good luck with starting tomatoes, but I wanted to give it a try. I'm starting Sweet 100s, San Marzanos, a Rainbow blend of cherry tomatoes, Beefsteaks and Cherokee Purples. I only have 4 spaces in my SFG for climbing plants so I'm considering building another bed that is 8 feet long and 2 feet deep for more climbers. Buying all of the ingredients and mixing the soil is a lot of work plus we'll need to buy materials for another box. It should be easier this year now that we know what we're doing, but I'm not sure I want to invest the energy for another box. Do I really need 12 tomato plants??  Hmmm, I think I might. Last year I had five at the house and another dozen at the community garden.

I've also started two kinds of basil, two kinds of eggplant, jalapenos, and bell peppers.

Are you planning a garden for this summer? What are you most looking forward to? I can't wait to make beet raviolis, carrot cake and pesto. And of course lots of salads with homegrown lettuce - so much better than store bought.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds great! We got our first community garden plot this year, and I'm super excited for it. We already planted our radishes and brussels sprouts, and we have a few strawberries from whoever had our plot last year. We're planning to put in tomatoes (Sun Golds and Cherokee Purple) and some kind of spicy chiles, probably Thai in a few weeks. We've also got herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro, and thyme) started on our porch, and might just keep them in pots there or in the yard. It's so much fun being involved in the community garden with other enthusiastic gardeners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! I like to keep my herbs in pots and then bring them in the house in the winter so I have fresh herbs all year. I'd love to grow brussels sprouts! Yum

      Delete
    2. That's a good idea with the herbs. I've never been able to keep them alive in pots for more than a few months, but Perry's better with houseplants than I am, so maybe he can spearhead that project. Yes, I'm super excited about the brussels sprouts. We'll see how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Just found you thru Rachel's blog at SmallNotebook ~ what a nice blog you have! We had Sweet 100's when my girls were little (20 yrs ago?!) and loved them. Now I am having a hard time finding the plants ~ probably should have thought this thru earlier, hmmm? Good luck with your planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! good luck finding the sweet 100s. They are my favorite to grow because they always yield so much fruit.

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...