Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Psychological Shift

With a name like that you'd think this post would be about something more serious than hair...

According to my new stylist Santi (short for Santiago, which the receptionist only reluctantly told me after I had to ask her to repeat herself twice), my new haircut and style will be a real psychological shift for me. I had to exert quite a bit of effort to avoid rolling my eyes at that one, but after a couple of days, I actually think he was right. It's not a big change, but it's a fresh look, and I think I needed it - psychologically and cosmetically.

I'm one to make my choices about hair cuts slowly. I thought about bangs for a good four years before I committed to them. When I finally took the plunge, the stylist was terrified that my four years of build up would result in disappointment, and I was pretty scared too. He had to ask me at least three times to please relax my shoulders so he could tell how long he was cutting my hair. The bangs turned out to be a good choice, at least I think so, but I haven't changed my haircut much since.

This stagnation was made much easier when I moved to Santa Fe and found that the receptionist at my office cut hair in her spare time (she was trained and all but decided she needed a more stable job). In Albuquerque, I went to a hipster salon where my stylist was always giving me tips and trying to push me a little into trying new things. BUT, in Santa Fe, my stylist came to my own home, and in the safe comforts of my dining room, I felt perfectly content telling my new Santa Fean stylist to give me the same as usual. Actually, I don't think she even asked anymore after the first few times. She had a baby this winter and is taking a break from cutting hair, and I've been patiently waiting for her to call me to let me know she's back.

That means that it had been four months since my last cut. I'm trying to grow my hair out this year, and without regular trimming, it was becoming totally unruly and unhealthy. I couldn't take it any longer last week.

Like a lot of things in Santa Fe, there isn't a lot of middle ground when it comes to haircuts - we've got plenty of $100 and up haircuts and plenty of bargain places, but it's hard to find something in the middle of the road. I debated just spending the hundred dollars for a haircut and trying a new place, but in the end, I went back to my hipster salon in Albuquerque.

When I sat down in the chair, I could feel my shoulders tense up and my heart start racing. It's been almost four years since I've had my hair cut at a salon, and it felt so busy and chaotic. In a moment of panic, I thought about asking him to chop it and go back to my A-line bob, but being in the hipster salon and seeing all of the cute and daring cuts made me want to stick with it. Not that my cut is at all daring.

There is something so exhilarating about getting a good haircut and cutting away those split ends or extra inches, don't you think?  A psychological shift as some would say.

a blurry photo taken a good seven hours after the cut and after an hour of sleeping in the car on the way home. Sorry, this is the best I could manage... 

2 comments:

  1. Even from the blurry photo I can tell it looks great! A great haircut really can feel like a fresh start! I hate paying a lot for haircuts but then I think of that price divided over all the days between haircuts...and how having a good haircut leads to more good hair days which just puts me in a better mood...and I justify it. For the record, I go to Toni and Guy and spend $65 (including tip) on my haircuts...and it feels like a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought about the price per day before. I debated a lot about whether or not it was worth it to drive 60 miles for a cut that was reasonably priced and that I knew would be good. Luckily we were already going to be in Albuquerque visiting friends so I could combine the trip, but after this cut I think it's worth it for peace of mind.

      I've been spoiled for the past couple of years because I was only spending $40 per cut including tip. I hated the idea of spending $100 plus a tip and taking a risk that I wouldn't even like it. But in Albuquerque I can get a cut for $65 including tip and I think that is reasonable (compared to Santa Fe prices, but those are pretty skewed...)

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...