Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Quick and Easy Restaurant Style Salsa


I haven't found a store-bought salsa that I really like. They are all too bland or processed tasting or too vinegar-y.

You'd think the quest for an excellent salsa would be pretty easy living in the Southwest, but New Mexicans seem to focus more on their chile than salsa. You can't blame them. A burrito or rellenos smothered in chile sure beat salsa any day.

But sometimes I just want some good old chips and salsa. I tried the Pioneer Woman's recipe for restaurant style salsa, and it does the trick and it is soooo quick and easy. I usually roast tomatoes when I make salsa, but this recipe is no fuss and takes less than 10 minutes to make.

When I first made this salsa, I was a little disappointed because it seemed really bland, but after a couple of hours in the fridge, the flavors really meld and it is very tasty.  I found this to be a little too watery so I drained the tomatoes and Rotel the second time I made it.

Pioneer Woman's Restaurant Style Salsa

Ingredients
1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes drained
2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies) drained
1/4 cup Chopped Onion
1 clove Garlic, Minced
1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
1/4 teaspoon Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 cup Cilantro (more To Taste!)
1/2 whole Lime Juice

Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you'd like. Test seasonings  and adjust as needed. Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour.

Note: this is a very large batch. Recommend using a 12-cup food processor, or you can process the ingredients in batches and then mix everything together in a large mixing bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...