Monday, May 21, 2012

Mama's Little Baby Loves Rhubarb Rhubarb

Be-Bop-A-Re-Bop Rhubarb Pie! It wouldn't be spring without rhubarb pies... My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Luckily for me there is a piping hot rhubarb pie straight out of the oven just waiting to be devoured.

I love, love, love rhubarb, and while I like finding new ways to bake with it, nothing can replace a good old strawberry rhubarb pie. For me this is the quintessential way to serve rhubarb. This pie reminds me of my grandmother, the huge leafy rhubarb plants in her backyard and the smell of the filling oozing out the sides of the pie plate and spilling onto the bottom of the oven. It makes me miss my Minnesota home.



Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
From the Joy of Cooking

Ingredients
2 basic pie crusts
1 pound unpeeled young rhubarb stalks, diced
1 pint strawberries, quartered
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar (more if you like it sweet)
1 tablespoon butter,  cut into small pieces
2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place a baking sheet on the bottom rack to catch any filling that bubbles over. Combine fruit in large bowl and sprinkle flour and sugar over fruit. Stir gently and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Prepare pie shell in a 9-inch pie plate. Add fruit mixture and dot with butter. Add top pie shell and prick. Add foil or crust protectors to edges of crust. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. About 5 to 10 minutes before the pie is done, remove crust protectors.

2 comments:

  1. YES YES YES. Rhubarb is my absolute FAVORITE part of spring. Well, after peonies, that is. Have a great weekend in gorgeous NM, lady. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much rhubarb here...wish you were here to use some of it up.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...