Monday, May 14, 2012

Quinoa Cups


Normally, quick and easy are not on my list of criteria for new recipes I want to try. In fact, I usually avoid them. I don't want short cuts or pared down versions because for me that takes the joy out of cooking. I find it so relaxing to spend an evening chopping and sauteeing and simmering away in my kitchen, and the final product is always so rewarding.

But lately, work has been so all consuming that I haven't even had the time for meal planning. I'm finding that my attention has been drawn to recipes that don't require much effort. Not really the kind of cooking I want to be doing, but it's all I can manage these days. I'm hoping that will change soon, but in the meantime, I've been on the lookout for recipes that are quick and nutritious.

I made a batch of these quoina cups from Iowa Girl Eats for our lunches this week. This recipe fits the bill lately - I threw them together in less than 15 minutes. They are super easy and quick and a good clean out the fridge recipe. Start with the base recipe of eggs and quinoa and add whatever you have on hand. I added half a red pepper, two green onions, white cheddar cheese, green chile, and shredded zucchini. We couldn't resist when I pulled them out of the oven last night, and we gobbled down several right away. In to the tuppies for the rest of them...


I used a regular sized muffin pan, and this recipe made 17 cups.

Quinoa Cups

Ingredients

2 cups cooked quinoa (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
+ whatever veggies you have on hand. I added:
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
3 Tablespoons chopped green chile
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine. Liberally spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray and spoon mixture to the top of each cup. (If using a regular sized muffin tin, spoon mixture about 3/4 full.) Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges of the cups are golden brown. Let cool for at least 5 minutes in the tin before eating. Do not underbake or they won't come out of the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...