Monday, June 25, 2012

A Productive Weekend: The First Step Closer to Finding What is Waiting For Us

This weekend was spent making BIG plans. Big, exciting, scary plans for the future. Saying it out loud and now writing it here to be preserved in blog land is scary, but we decided last week that working 40 hours in an office for the next 23 years (until we can retire and receive our pension…) is not what we want. We’ve known that for a long time, but we haven’t been brave enough to commit to changing it. Now, we’re ready to start working toward a BIG change. A change that will mean uprooting everything and downsizing and prioritizing, and as much as that makes me want to hurl and bury my head under the covers, the end result makes me very happy.

I stumbled across this quote last week, and I took it as a sign that we need to seriously consider this and weigh our options.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

-Joseph Campbell

We spent Saturday unwinding from the week. We went rafting with new friends and laughed the whole way down the river. It was a perfect day, and then we came home and ate way too much green chile and sopapillas.

loving my mermaid nail polish on the river!

Yesterday we went up to the cabin with our flipcharts and markers in tow and started to make a grand plan.

The girls hunted lizzies...


And we got to work...


Dorky, I know, but lists and flipcharts and probing questions really DO work. Even talking about a big change is scary for me because I hate change! I keep reminding myself about how Sara has been tackling her big and grand plans one step at a time, and I'm taking comfort in knowing that we have support and encouragement and role models around us.

We came home last night with a feeling of excitement and hung the big sheets up on our bedroom wall where we can see them from bed. Eeee!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds scary and very exciting! I'm with you on the attitude to working 40 hour weeks til retirement - there must be many better alternatives. I'm looking forward to hearing about yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Change is scary but can be so good. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO exciting. I can't wait to hear more about your plans! (And over here we are also totally NOT down with working 40 hours a week in an office. Yuck.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot wait to hear these grand plans!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...