Thursday, August 2, 2012

Rivers, Reunions and Mud Baths


Sadly summer vacation is over at our house. Off the river and back to the office.

We had a marvelous July hanging out with amazing friends, laughing, telling stories, catching up, drinking lots of Modelos and rafting on gorgeous rivers in northern New Mexico and southern Utah. I always love the time I spend in southern Utah. I think it is my favorite place. I love the red rocks, the red sand on my skin, the views, the sky, the canyons. It makes my heart sing. I don’t think I’ll ever get enough. I didn’t want to leave.

I started vacation feeling really unfocused and scattered, not sure what we’re going to do, how we’re going to do it and how we’ll figure out what we really want for ourselves. I see those flip chart pages taped on the bedroom wall every day, but I’m not sure how to make it happen. Now that vacation is over, I still don’t know how to make it happen, but I feel more committed to making a big change and inspired by the possibilities.

One of the best parts of rafting is the friends. The Princeton 55ers are so special to us, and I feel more attached to them every year. I always appreciate their advice and encouragement and their hilarious stories. I was injured right before our trip this year, and I almost didn’t go on the river. Luckily we had a top ranked doctor among the 55ers to check up on me. I spent a lot more time sitting around than I usually do because I was under the weather, and the real treat for me was hanging out with the best story teller laughing until we cried. I didn’t want to say goodbye at the end of the trip. We met some new friends on our trip on the San Juan, including a couple who spent a year living at the bottom of the Grand Canyon with their young sons. They had some good advice about making big changes.

Here are some highlights from our fun July...

Another tough day on the river
O'Keefe country up the river from Ghost Ranch
ruins at Chinle Wash
beautiful camping spot
We eat well on the river
Radar travels in style
I even tried rowing (at least long enough for a photo shoot)
We saw lots of desert big horn sheep on the San Juan
People pay good money for a mud bath like this in Santa Fe...

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like such a great time. I can't wait for summer and camping on my side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, finally! I have been missing your posts. Ooh, your pics look awesome. What is your injury?! Are you ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gosh you're sweet!
      I'm fine now. A dog rammed into me from behind at the dog park and knocked my legs out from underneath me and I fell on my head. I have a bad gash on my scalp, but it is healing.

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...