Sunday, September 23, 2012

Minneawesome!



We spent a whole glorious week in Minneapolis for Labor Day this year - a whole week of hanging out with my favorite people, relaxing, eating and drinking and enjoying urban living. Santa Fe is the perfect place for us from day to day, but I need to be in a real city once in a while. I have places I like to go and things that I do every time I visit, but we did try some new things this year...

The Pizza Farm!

I've been wanting to go ever since I heard about this place a few years ago, but we were never in MN on a Tuesday evening in the summer. We had a lovely drive to Stockholm, WI along the Mississippi and Lake Pepin. It was a bit of a drive, and we were all wondering if the pizza could really be worth driving all that way. Luckily it was flippin' AMAZING! They grow all of the ingredients on the farm and bake the pizzas in a brick oven. The pizza farm lived up to and exceeded years of expectations. We're hoping to make it a yearly tradition.


Restaurants on Central Avenue 
After college, I worked for the Main Street program on Central Avenue NE revitalizing the corridor, providing business assistance, and promoting Central Avenue as a place to shop, dine and do business. Central Avenue (and all of Northeast Minneapolis) has changed so much in the past 10 years. There is new life and energy there that I think were hard to imagine ten years ago. Old favorites are still there like Holy Land and Crescent Moon and others have moved on or closed. We tried the Thai restaurant Sen Yai Sen Yek for excellent curry and pad thai and the Ecuadorian restaurant Chimborazo where Llapingachos were a big hit.

Happy Hour at Gather at the Walker Art Center
An urban view, killer cocktails and mini banh mi. A perfect way to spend an evening! I honestly can't remember what my cocktail had in it, but it was the best cocktail I've had in a long time - not too sweet or strong. It made me consider breaking out of my bourbon and red wine ruts.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, what would Judith Martin think of this post? (I think you know the part I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're talking about the "real city" comment. Hopefully Judith would have come around by now and would consider Minneapolis a real city.

      It's real enough for me at least!

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...