Thursday, October 25, 2012

We Miss You Senator

via

"Never separate the life you live from the words you speak."
-Paul Wellstone

Today is the tenth anniversary of Paul Wellstone’s death. I remember exactly where I was and how I felt when I heard the news. I was visiting Albuquerque for the first time, and I was on top of the Sandias waiting to take the tram back down. The folks in front of us in line were also from Minnesota, and they asked if we had heard what happened. Our hearts sank, our eyes filled with tears and it felt devastating.

We lost a great leader who fought relentlessly for people, who really cared about people and making our lives better. He inspired so much hope and passion and joy in me and countless others. He championed peace, justice, labor rights, the environment, health care, domestic violence. He was known as the conscience of the Senate. He pushed the dialogue, he fought the unpopular fights and he always did what he believed was right.

We have a photo of him getting off of his green bus in our living room, and I see it every day and remember him and how he still inspires us to follow our passions and live moral and ethical lives.

2 comments:

  1. I remember where I was too. I had just moved to California, and I was at my temp job. My co-worker said to me, "You're from Minnesota, right? Your senator just died."

    On the bright side, I think Wellstone looks like Andrew in this picture! (Or Andrew looks like Wellstone!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny - I never would have thought that Andrew and Paul looked alike!

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...