Wednesday, May 29, 2013

All American Salads


This long weekend I was in the mood for a good, old-fashioned summer barbecue. I wanted grilled corn, sausages with sauerkraut, potato salad and ice cold lemonade. I also wanted to make a traditional potato salad and Andrew’s favorite salad(!) – macaroni salad. I found the most all-American salads that I could on the interwebs, and we headed to Taos for a weekend of barbecuing and relaxing.

Just a warning, these are addictive salads. As I was making them, I thought to myself that I probably wouldn’t want to eat too much of them since there was so much mayonnaise in them. Mayonnaise is kind of a turn off for me so I figured I’d have a little and let Andrew eat the rest. Well, flash forward two days, and I was sitting at our kitchen table eating a plate of potato salad and macaroni salad with some potato chips on the side for good measure... for breakfast!



Rosanne Cash’s Potato Salad 

Serves 8

3 pounds medium red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed
8 dill pickle spears, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 celery stalks, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
5 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain; cool. Cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces and transfer to large bowl. Stir in pickles, celery, onion, eggs, mayonnaise, and mustard. Season potato salad to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)

I found this to be better the next day after the flavors had melded a little better.


Modern Macaroni Salad 
Adapted slightly from Epicurious

Serves 6 to 8

16 ounces elbow macaroni
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cups chopped drained bread-and-butter pickles
1 1/4 cups chopped celery
1 4-ounce jars sliced pimientos, drained
1 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped

Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling salted water just until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice in large bowl. Mix in macaroni, pickles, celery, peppers, pimientos and onions. Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...