Friday, May 31, 2013

Pasta with Poblanos and Chipotle Sauce


I'll admit that when I first came across this recipe, I was dubious. It didn't sound super appealing to me, but it is definitely a hit. I like the bold and rich flavor from the chipotle sauce.

I've added lardons when I have them on hand, and they are great in this dish too. This dish is a little spicy so be careful with the chipotle. If you like it less spicy, you can cut back on it.

Pasta with Poblanos and Chipotle Sauce

1 large onion, thinly sliced (2 1/4 cups)
1/2 pound fresh poblano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced lengthwise
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped bottled roasted red peppers (I prefer roasting my own)
1 pound ziti or penne
1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotles in adobo (careful with this - add half and then taste before adding more to be safe if you're worried about spice)
1 1/2 cups sour cream (I use low fat)
1 cup chopped scallions (about 1 bunch)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or more. I love the fresh cilantro and am very generous with it)
raw green (hulled) pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted for garnish

Cook onion, poblanos, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in oil in a heavy medium pot over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add red peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. 

Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain pasta. 

While pasta cooks, purée chipotles with sour cream in a blender. (I used my immersion blender)

Add purée to onion mixture with scallions, cilantro, 1/4 cup cooking water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add pasta and toss, moistening with additional cooking water if desired. Season with salt.

Garnish with pepitas and fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...