Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Square Foot Gardening 2013


This is my third year of gardening with the Square Foot Gardening (SFG) method, and I am still in love with this system!


We added two more boxes last year so we're all set this year and years to come with plenty of square footage. We now have 68 square feet of garden, which, honestly, is more than enough for two people. We were a little overzealous last year when we added two more boxes. The extra space is fun, but we had plenty of space with the boxes we built the first year. You can see everything we grew in our first year in only 36 square feet here.  

This year we're growing more of the usual suspects - peppers, tomatoes, beets, carrots, lettuces and greens. I have the best luck with cherry tomatoes (especially sweet 100s), carrots, basil, tomatillos, lettuces and jalapeno peppers. They always seem to do well every year. I find bell peppers, leeks and beets to be a little more tricky, and heirloom tomatoes to be downright hard to grow. New to our SFG this year are two kinds of eggplant, micro greens, purple basil, amaranth and quinoa. 

Normally I start my seeds inside in the spring and transplant them to the boxes, but it is a lot of work and kind of fussy so I decided I would buy starts this year. I bought various kinds of starts of tomatoes, peppers and the eggplants. I sowed the carrots, leeks, greens and lettuces, beets, radishes, amaranth, quinoa directly in the boxes.

Despite our dry summer, everything seems to be doing well for now. We can harvest the lettuces, greens and radishes now, and some of our tomatoes are starting to ripen. 

Are you growing a garden this year? What are your best growers?

You can read more about square foot gardening and instructions for how to build and plant your boxes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...