Monday, July 29, 2013

Roasted Radishes


I've been meaning to post this for weeks, but I've been too busy with traveling. On the chance that you still have any radishes left in your garden or CSA box, here's a tip - roast them.

Our radishes are very peppery. Despite the seed package's label that they are mild and pleasant, our radishes are so overpowering that they make your tongue burn after one bite. I was wondering what I was going to do with 32 radishes when it occurred to me that I should try roasting them. The results were fantastic! All of the strong pepper flavor goes away, and you're left with an earthy, slightly sweet wonderful taste.

They are tasty enough that I was roasting extra each time because we couldn't help ourselves from popping several in our mouths as we were making the rest of dinner. Yum!

So far everyone who I've mentioned roasted radishes to seems surprised. This doesn't seem to be a common practice, at least in New Mexico, so I wanted to post this idea.

Roasted Radishes

One bunch radishes, washed well, trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise
Olive oil
Sea salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss radishes in enough olive oil to lightly coat (about 1 tablespoon). Spread radishes on a rimmed baking sheet and lightly season with sea salt. Roast radishes for 15 minutes, stir, and roast for another 5-10 minutes until radishes are tender and slightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...