Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ba-ba-ba Bab-Ganoush

The scene in our kitchen last Thursday night:

Meghan: I just love this Baba Ganoush recipe! So creamy and smoky. I can’t get enough.

Andrew: Baba Ganoush? You mean...

Ba-ba-baaa, Ba-ba-baaa, Bab-Ga-Nouuuuush!
Ba-ba-bab-gnouuuuush!
You got me rockin’ and a rollin’, rockin’ and a reelin’, Bab-Gnoush. Ba-ba-bab-gnoush!
(sung to the tune of Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys)

A: Or how about

BA. BA. BA. BA Gnoush.
BA. BA. BA. BA Gnoush.
BA. BA. BA. BA Gnoush.
Nothing can stop me now ‘Cause I’m the Bab Gnouuuuush.
(sung to the tune of Duke of Earl by Gene Chandler)

M: thinking silently to myself, I just fell even MORE in love with my husband!

Warning: just try singing these tunes to yourself and then stopping. Impossible! I woke up Saturday morning singing about Baba Ganoush to Andrew in bed.

******

Some people really seem to shy away from eggplant, but I can’t get enough of it. I could eat eggplant every day and be happy. So, I don’t know why or how I got it in my head a few years ago that Baba Ganoush was fussy or difficult to make. I can’t believe I’ve been denying myself this pleasure for so long. Seriously, this is some major awesomeness.

I first made this recipe the night of the Yotam fest. (I was making so many new recipes that I wanted to make sure I had a lot of food in case any of them were a total flop. And, you know, being the good Midwesterner that I am, I certainly didn’t want to run out of food. Gasp!)

I made it again last week and was even more smitten. Make this! Seriously, make this and enjoy!

Baba Ganoush
Slightly adapted from America’s Test Kitchen* via The Arugula Files

2 pounds eggplant (about 2 large globe, 5 medium Italian, or 12 medium Japanese)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 small clove garlic , minced
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil , plus extra for serving
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and pepper

Heat gas grill on high until temperature reaches 400 degrees. Poke eggplants with a fork evenly all over surface to prevent bursting. Set eggplants on grill rack toward the back where the grill is hottest. Grill until skins darken and wrinkle on all sides and eggplants are uniformly soft when pressed with tongs. Turn eggplants every 5 minutes and reverse direction of the eggplants on the grill with each turn. Total grilling time is about 25-30 minutes for large globe eggplants, 20 minutes for Italian eggplants, and 15 minutes for Japanese eggplants.

Transfer eggplants to rimmed baking sheet and cool for 5 minutes. Trim the top and bottom off each eggplant and slit lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the hot pulp from the skins and place the pulp in a colander to drain. Discard skins. Let pulp drain 5 minutes.

Transfer pulp to the food processor. Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Pulse until the mixture has a coarse, choppy texture (about eight 1-second pulses). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer to a serving bowl and cover with plastic wrap flush with surface of the dip. Refrigerate for 45-60 minutes. To serve, use a spoon to make a trough in the center of the dip and spoon olive oil into it. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

* I know you’re probably thinking why in the world would someone adapt from America’s Test Kitchen when they test the heck out of their recipes to perfect them. I used a gas grill because that’s what we have at the house. See the original link for instructions to use a charcoal grill, which is recommended by one Mr. Kimball.

2 comments:

  1. I'm filing this away! I've had some slimy eggplant experiences and am never excited to get it in our CSA share, this is a great solution! I'll be sure to sing when I make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of anything like this! Eggplants are everywhere right now, so I'll have to try it. (And Barbara Ann is definitely going to be stuck in my head for a while now! haha)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...