Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Enter it in the Log: Summer 2013


When I was in college, my best friend and I kept a notebook where we wrote down all of the funny things that happened to us or that we saw or overheard. Sometimes things are just too funny that they have to be recorded somewhere. Another one of our girlfriends suggested, jokingly, that we get ourselves a log to keep track of all of the stuff we thought was so funny. When something really funny happened or we overheard a hilarious conversation, she’d shout “Enter it in the log!” Well, as you can imagine, those logs are even more hilarious to look back at now and are so fun to reminisce with.

One of the things I like best about blogging is having an online journal that I can browse through and remember what we've been up to. This blog is my log now where I can record songs I'm playing on repeat, great meals I've had and adventures too. Sometimes, I just scroll back through old posts to see what we were up to last year at this time. As someone with a terrible memory and an even more terrible track record of keeping photo albums up to date, this little blog is a great scrapbook for me and Andrew.

Here are some things from lately that I want to capture in the log...

Summer happy hours on Saturday night on the front porch. Late dinners after the sun goes down and staying up late.

Sweet, sweet Elsa. Elsa hanging out with me each morning while I get ready. She’s a loyal girl, that one, and she is so sweet to just sit there and watch me so intently each day. I tell her about my day and tell her that she is so wonderful. She tilts her head back and forth listening and trying to understand what I’m telling her. And speaking of Elsa, I sure don't want to forget this summer's new game E-pong!

Walking the dog girls after the sun goes down and before bed. A short walk around the neighborhood to help us all sleep better.

Crossing our fingers and hoping for howls. Every time you can hear sirens, our neighbors’ dogs howl. I love a howling dog, and I’ve tried for years to get our dogs to howl, but they just aren’t into it. I don’t need a whole song, just some occasional howling. BUT, lately, Lola will howl a little when she hears the dogs next door howling. And if we are REALLY lucky, Elsa will give out a little howl too. Every time we hear sirens now, we stop what we’re doing, become totally silent and still,cross our fingers, and wait for the howls. The first time it happened was a saturday morning. We were still in bed, and Lola howled for a few seconds and then went back to sleep. Andrew and I looked at each other in awe and mouthed “Oh MY GOD” to each other (If Lola hears that we are awake, she’ll want her breakfast so we need to stay quiet if we want to keep sleeping).

Making the house our own. This summer is the first time we’ve really dug into any great big house projects. We painted the bedroom a color we love and are now sleeping on a bed Andrew made for us. We hung new curtains and rearranged the furniture. We’re almost done with getting rid of the blue paint, and Andrew will make our desk this weekend. I’ve put up paint samples in the kitchen and dining room, and depending on our energy and momentum, we may keep moving through the house as long as we can have the windows open. This has been a huge change for us. As we painted over the blue, I kept saying to Andrew, “It’s like we live in a normal house!” A normal house! Yes!! Normally, we are rarely home on a weekend in the summer because we’d much rather be rafting, hiking or camping, but this summer working on the house has been wonderful.

Cooking Together. Andrew has never really been interested in cooking. He usually likes to keep me company in the kitchen, but this summer we've started planning recipes and cooking together. We've had so much fun making pasta, and a couple of weekends ago, we made eggs benedict with homemade English muffins. We followed Julia Child's recipe for Hollandaise to the letter. At one point, I was vigorously whisking the egg yolks while Andrew added the melted butter 1/8 teaspoon at a time. We looked at each other, realizing the ridiculousness of it and laughed, but I think that meal is one of the very best things I've ever made. I'm looking forward to seeing what we cook up this fall!

My brother's visit. I've been in New Mexico almost ten years, and up until this year my siblings haven't shown very much interest in visiting. First my sister visited for Thanksgiving last fall, then my brother came for skiing in January, and THEN, he came back again this summer for rafting. I didn't really get along very well with my brother when we were kids, but it is so fun to me to know him as an adult. He is hilarious, outgoing and so much fun to be around. I had to be in Indianapolis for work during one of our scheduled trips so he came down and took my spot on the river. He had a great time learning to row and meeting everyone. I love it when my old life and new life mingle like that.

Visitors in general. Speaking of visits from loved ones, we've been so lucky this year. This is really more of a fall, winter, spring, summer thing to remember. It's been quite the year, and we've had visits from my sister, my mom, my brother-in-law, my brother, my oldest friend Rosie and her boyfriend, and my father-in-law!

7 comments:

  1. I have a similar log of catch phrases and funny incidents (plus scrapbooks) and they're so fun to go through. It's a guaranteed laugh :)

    Glad you had such a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so funny!! I love that! We will need to use that one at work! :)
    ~~~F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that we get to laugh so much at work!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this post!!!

    blogs are perfect for capturing the good, the bad, the sad, and the funny. so many things happen in life, life flies by so quickly, and memories fade so fast. it is great, and important, to try and capture things and revisit them. it is one of the many benefits of blogging!

    the howling stuff made me laugh!

    and cooking with that special someone can be so fun. i haven't cooked much with my boyfriend, but he is EXCEPTIONALLY excited when we do. it is fun -- for both of us, and it is nice to know that you are both in it together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree about being in it together. that definitely takes some of the pressure off of trying something totally new!

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...