Friday, September 13, 2013

Martini Night in America


It’s currently raining and chilly in Santa Fe. I’m sure it will warm up again before fall really hits, but I’m loving this weather. The cooler air combined with the fact that we’re now safely in September means that Martini Night in America is back at our house!

During the fall and winter, we have a little routine for Friday nights at our house. After we get home from work and dogs have been walked, Andrew makes us a fire and I make us martinis. We have a little happy hour in front of the fire and then we usually make a nice comfort food like pizza, hot dish or one of our favorite tomato soups. We watch old James Bond movies, sip our martinis and cozy up. I love Martini night, and because it’s more fun to say, I’ve named it Martini Night in America.

We celebrated our first of the season last Friday night. It was warm and sunny so we celebrated on the front porch, but this week, we can cozy up in our new living space.

Here’s the recipe for my favorite martini, which my brother-in-law named the Santa Fean. It is tart and has a nice zip from the lime juice. And it is soooo pretty!

The Santa Fean
A Tart Cherry Martini

3 ounces vodka
6 ounces tart cherry juice (make sure to get tart cherry)
Grand Marnier
1 fresh lime
Ice

Set out two martini glasses. Wash and dry lime. Using a peeler, shave off two pieces of lime zest and put one in each glass.

Fill shaker with ice. Pour in vodka, cherry juice and a generous splash of Grand Marnier (about 1 ounce) . Squeeze the juice from the lime into the shaker. I like a very citrusy drink so I like to rub the lime on the inside of my glass as well. Close shaker and shake vigorously until liquid is chilled. Pour and serve.

Makes 2 martinis.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous, that sounds puuuuurfect! It's still so hot here and I'm so OVER it. I grew up with a fireplace my parent's house and we made good use of it, we don't have one here and I miss having one. Nothing cozier than a fire. My great grandmother said "A fire makes good company" and it does! I've been wanting to find a signature drink that I can mix up to make an otherwise whatever weekend cheery. Enjoy Martini Night in America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! I'm going to share it with my parents -- it could be their signature drink, since they have two sour cherry trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OhhhhMyyyGoodness... I have to try one! Yum!!! I wanna go to your house on Friday nights this winter... :( HaHa...
    ~~~F

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...