Thursday, October 31, 2013

Bookends


I had my practical final exam in culinary class last night. We randomly drew recipes out of a hat from the list of things we’ve made this semester. I picked minestrone, which is what we made on our first night of cooking. It was the recipe that made me want to pull my hair out and go to the bathroom and just never come back. It is one of the easiest recipes we’ve made all semester, and when I picked it, I immediately felt disappointed that I hadn’t drawn something more difficult to really test my skills. But, I decided that it was the Universe giving me a gift. It’s been an exhausting couple of weeks, and I’m feeling worn out. I could use that gift.

I also love the way it brought me back to the first night, remembering how stressful everything was back then and feeling proud of all that I have learned and how much more confident I am.

As I drove to campus last night, I thought about the first night of class and how scared I was to even show up. I was nervous for the exam, but not nearly as nervous as I was that first night. I wore my pink and red striped socks - the same ones I wore on our first night of cooking. I showed up extra early, set up my station, honed my knives.

I’m always looking for bookends as a way to be reflective about changes over time and this was the perfect way to end class.

AND, I received a perfect score for taste, texture and presentation with a note about how nice my knife skills are! My chef described my dish as perfect and beautiful! He did suggest more salt, though, and even though I salted much more than I would at home, this is still something I need to work on. Overall, I couldn’t have been more pleased with my results.

Bookended!

Next week, Asian Cuisine starts. A new class, a new chef and a new challenge. I can’t wait!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan,

    Reading your post brings me back to Foods for Fitness in 9th grade. Although it sounds like your cooking skills have come a long way since then. I came across your blog when Rosie posted one of your entries on Facebook. I love reading your blog and it is so nice to feel reconnected to an old friend. It looks like you have a wonderful life and I am so happy for you.

    Thanks for letting me peek into your life.

    Monica (Dickson) Feely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica! Hi!! It's so nice to hear from you. You totally made my day!
      I had forgotten about food for fitness, but now that you reminded me, I remember having a lot of fun in that class.
      Thanks for your comment, and I'm so happy you've been reading.
      -Meghan

      Delete
  2. You so deserved a perfect score M. I am sure you were a gifted little pleasure to have in class! Asian Cuisine?? Yum! Can't wait to hear the tales!!
    ~~~Felish

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...