Thursday, October 10, 2013

Four Years: The Magic of Marriage


Andrew and I are celebrating our nine year anniversary this week. We’ve been married for four of these years, and it has been magic. I don’t say magical to imply that it hasn’t been hard and overwhelming at times because it has. What people say about marriage being hard work is true, but it’s hard work that is so worth it.

There is magic in marriage.

It’s in the safety of knowing you have a strong commitment and the freedom that safety allows you to explore ideas, think out loud and try new things. Being in this thing together.

The support and encouragement of your partner who thinks you are the smartest, most talented, loveliest person ever.

The deep love and attachment. The passion. Loving each other so fiercely. Being the most important person. Being in the most important thing.

The comfort of being totally yourself, totally naked (figuratively, although literally too). Talking in funny voices. Dancing around the kitchen. Pouring your heart out. Telling the most secret secrets. Being vulnerable. Being the most honest I’ve ever been.

It’s in dealing with the hard stuff. You deal with it now or you let it fester and deal with it down the road, but you WILL deal with it because, it’s going nowhere. And dealing with it is hard, but having dealt with it feels good. It’s worth it because every fight, every discussion, every compromise gets us closer to where we need to be. Fights feel productive in marriage. They lead us somewhere.

The family we’ve created. The family we are.

The enormity and power of this team, this partnership, this council between equals.

And even after almost a decade together, there is still the magic of surprise and discovery.

I’m looking forward to another amazing year full adventures and big things!

Happy Anniversary. xoxo, sweetie

hey, I love you!
so much

6 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Kelsey's a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading your writing!

    My favorite line: "The support and encouragement of your partner who thinks you are the smartest, most talented, loveliest person ever." Because, yes. It's the best.

    And the part about marriage allowing you the freedom to explore new/terrifying/exhilarating ideas. The safety of my marriage really does allow me to be braver than I would be otherwise.

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet. I love hearing about awesome marriages, it's inspiring! and you guys are so clearly in love and committed to each other. My main focus has been on my son lately and I'm trying to remember that I have to actively maintain my marriage as well! Luckily we had such a solid foundation to begin with and are having so much fun as parents but when I think about the time that we had just for each other before a baby...it's very different now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwe!! So cute! Happy anniversary M n A! I love these pics of you!
    ~~~Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwwwe!! So cute! Happy anniversary M n A! I love these pics of you!
    ~~~Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwwwe!! So cute! Happy anniversary M n A! I love these pics of you!
    ~~~Felicia

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...