Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reminiscing. Grateful.

Every year as we celebrate our anniversary, I’m flooded with excitement, love, happiness. I lurve reminiscing. It sometimes drives Andrew crazy. (see a typical conversation:

M: hey, remember what I was wearing the first time we went bowling together?

A: Ummmm, is this a test?

M: No, but remember I had that cute white shirt with the art nouveau scene and you wore your blue shirt from the Gap and you had that mustache and I made you so nervous hugging you during group photos…

A: I don’t like it when you quiz me about details like this.

M: And I was wearing those cute dangly earrings and those jeans you liked so much and …)

Anyway, while reliving all of the early days of our relationship in detail, especially about the outfits, isn’t exactly Andrew’s cup of tea, the wedding is something that he does love to join in with me on reminiscing about. I love to remember all of the little details and interactions and the feelings, oh.my.god the FEELINGS!

I also love to reminisce about all of the great times we spent with friends and family that weekend. We had so much fun and laughed a lot. Even without pictures, I would never forget scenes like these.

 
And then my heart swells with gratitude and tears of joy fill my eyes because we felt so loved and cared for. There is so much that goes into a wedding, even a small one, and people went way out of their way to help us and support us. They cooked, they ran errands, they set up and took down, they packaged leftovers (I’m looking at you, Miss Responsible!), they made our bouquets and arranged our flowers, played the music, took pictures, moved tables and chairs and they even did a fair amount of cleaning. I mean, I kid you not, I found my best friend on her hands and knees scrubbing the bathroom floor right before our welcome dinner because she wanted to make sure everything was perfect - now that’s a good friend.

I know this is what happens at weddings, but I wasn’t really prepared for how overwhelming (in good way) it would be even now four years later. It is a huge thing that I will always treasure about that day. It felt like all of these wonderful people who we love wrapped us up in a big hug and helped us get married. Feeling all of that love is when I realized that the wedding was about more than just Andrew and I getting married. It took on a life of its own and became something much bigger.

When I was living abroad, I would fantasize about having all of the people I love in the same place. In my fantasy, this usually involved one of them surprising me on the street and then the rest of them popping out from behind a wall to yell “SURPRISE!” and me melting into a puddle of tears. Having our wedding was a dream come true in that respect except it was better than the fantasy. We gathered all of the people we love the most from far and wide and they spent an amazing weekend with us in a place we love creating a community of love and support that will carry us through our lives together.

I think for both of us one of our favorite parts of celebrating our anniversary is remembering that.

6 comments:

  1. Haha, I am Queen of Nostalgia Lane! I will have similar conversations with Chris, like, "Remember when we lived in that rental house and...blah blah blah" and I'll be feeling all nostalgic and he's just sort of like "Yes....and?" I get very strong feelings like that about the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being nostalgic. For special occasions, like my birthday, Andrew will indulge me and let me reminisce for the whole day about all of the past years.

      Delete
  2. Your wedding was super fun, even if I had to take on a LOT of responsibility. I love these pictures, but what kind of brawl is going down in the first one? I don't remember being a part of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite moments of the day. I walked out of the house, and I heard John Prine's song In Spite of Ourselves, which I had specifically asked Andrew to leave off the playlist because it is a little racy (not really, but I was in crazy wedding mode at the time). And I looked over at him, like what the heck dude, and he just laughed and pointed at all of you guys dancing away under the portal to the song. It was a great moment. I'm so glad Denise captured it!!

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...