Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014: I CHOOSE


The other day on the way up the mountain to the ski resort, I made a comment about how it would be nice if the conditions were better and it would be nice if it wasn't so crowded. Andrew turned to me and said, "We need to choose to be grateful. We live in a beautiful place, and we are lucky. We can't live our lives feeling like things could be better. Let's be happy for what we have." And he was right. Minutes later we were on top of the mountain with an amazing view and the warm sun shining and breathing the fresh air and our able bodies skiing down the run. We ARE lucky.

After that comment, I thought maybe my word for 2014 would be grateful. I have a lot to be grateful for, and I certainly don't want to spend my life wishing for more. But for me, it's really about much more than just feeling grateful. It's a choice that I want to make daily.

Last year I had some unfortunate things happen to me, and that's a frustrating feeling. I also saw terrible things happen to people I love. The most inspiring story of my year is a dear friend who went through an incredibly painful and difficult break and chose to deal with it compassionately and gracefully. She has come out on the other side stronger, braver and wiser, and it's incredibly inspiring. Choice is powerful.

This year with a fresh start, I want to sink into choosing. I want to pay attention to the agency I have even when it feels like things are happening to me.

In 2014, I choose

joy,

adventure,

to be grateful,

to AC-CENT-TCHU-ATE the positive,

to align my actions with my priorities,

to be more vulnerable,

to cultivate resiliency,

to continue to PURSUE,

to nurture friendships and connections,

to be compassionate towards myself and others,

to show up and be brave.

Above all, I CHOOSE to choose.

2 comments:

  1. M....that was something I needed to read today. What a moving, thought provoking piece. You took an amazing photo that day. Tell Andrew his words were wise! Maybe we all need a reminder once in a while?

    Hugs and a Happy New Year to you my friend.

    ~~~~Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. well this is food for thought!!!!

    i had about 8 days off of work, and i got a nice holiday bonus. i was so grouchy when i saw how much was taken out of my bonus courtesy of TAXES (hello?! 50%!) and i got even grouchier when my vacation time was drawing to a close. it woulda been better energy spent if i thought about how i was AHEAD in the money department, and that i had a nice break from work. d'oh! needless to say, i need to work on my attitude and appreciate (be grateful) with the good, and accept the bad without so much moaning and groaning!

    and happy new year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...