Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Dark Chocolate Tart with Gingersnap Crust

The morning after breakfast

Ugh, I just typed this whole post and then blogger deleted it...

So, I'll try to recreate the lost magic.

Out of all of the major hits of my Thanksgiving menu, this tart is my very favorite. Everything about it is perfect. Honestly.

I always make pumpkin and apple pies, and I wanted to add a third dessert. With three large men (see exhibit A below), I figured I would need to up the desserts. Everyone loves left over Thanksgiving dessert for breakfasts and snacks, and the last thing I wanted was to run out early in the weekend.

Exhibit A. This is typical in Andrew's family.

I thought chocolate would round out our desserts really well, and I was right. I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen. While we were in Moab, we had a discussion about the best and most reliable blogs for recipes. I find that consistently, Smitten Kitchen is packed full of recipe winners. Deb never lets me down, and I can really count on her. It has become my go to source for recipes online, and it's always a good starting point if I'm looking for something new.

This tart is rich. The kind that you want to eat thin slices of with some unsweetened whipped cream on top. It's not for those of you who like sweet chocolate desserts. For many years in my teens and early twenties, I didn't like chocolate. It was too sweet, and I didn't like that filmy residue it left on my teeth. Luckily I discovered dark chocolate in adulthood, and now I can't get enough.

The gingersnap crust complements the chocolate really well. It's not overwhelming like some gingersnap crusts I've tried.

I'm so happy that this tart came into my life. I'm totally serious. This is delicious.

Dark Chocolate Tart with Gingersnap Crust
From Bon App├ętit, November 2007 via Smitten Kitchen


Crust:
8 ounces gingersnap cookies (about 32 cookies), coarsely broken
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter, melted ++ (we found that we needed more butter than the recipe calls for)

Filling:
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Softly whipped cream, for serving

For crust:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Finely grind gingersnap cookies in processor (yielding 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 cups). Add melted butter and process until moistened. Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. (I used a ceramic tart pan that I already have that does not have a removable bottom.) Place pan on rimmed baking sheet.

For filling:
Combine finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and heavy whipping cream in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove saucepan from heat. Whisk egg yolks, egg, sugar, flour, ground black pepper, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend. Very gradually whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until smooth and blended. Pour chocolate filling into crust.

Bake chocolate tart until filling puffs slightly at edges and center is softly set, about 30 minutes. Transfer to rack. Cool tart in pan 20 minutes. Gently remove tart pan sides and cool tart completely. 

Cut tart into thin wedges and serve with softly whipped cream.

3 comments:

  1. Ha. I made the exact same tart on TDay. Same recipe and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE it when that happens!!!! Oh....so bad!

    The tart!!! Yum.yum.yum!!!
    ~~~>F

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...