Monday, February 10, 2014

Don't Let the Moguls Control You


For the first time since I lived at my parents’ house, we have a television with reception. That means we can watch tv in real time these days, which I find to be kind of annoying with all of the commercials and inability to pause, but it also means that we can watch the Olympics! We watched some ladies freestyle moguls on Saturday night, and while discussing the various athletes’ performances, the announcer lauded that you can’t let the moguls control you.

I reminded myself of this lesson yesterday as we skied after several weeks of no snow. It felt like starting the season all over again, but I repeated this phrase to myself over and over again as I practiced.

Normally we would ski no matter the conditions because I like to get my money’s worth out of our season passes. This January, however, facing week after week of no snow and worse and worse conditions, we’ve stayed home. We have two kinds of practical at our house. My practical approach is to ski every weekend no matter the conditions so that we can maximize the value of our passes. This is what Andrew calls “Midwestern practical.” Andrew’s practical approach is to only ski when the conditions are good because we’ve already spent the money anyway and there’s no use forcing ourselves to do something that is supposed to be fun. If we don’t want to go, he always says, let’s stay home! And so, that’s what we’ve been doing for the past month.

It felt good to be back in the swing of things this weekend. Mostly good. I felt out of practice and rusty. That’s why I had to keep reminding myself.

Don’t let the moguls control you. Pick your own route. Maintain your control. 
Don’t let them control you.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit I stray more towards the "money's worth" mentality of value too but Andrew does make a lot of sense. A season pass for skiing would be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to be more open to Andrew's sense of value.
      And, yes! a ski pass is totally awesome!!

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...