Friday, March 7, 2014

Grilled Flat Iron Steaks with Creamy Red Chile Sauce


I normally do not like sauces or marinades or rubs or anything on my steak. I prefer to taste and savor the flavor of the meat, but I made this sauce the other night in class, and it is so good that I have been carefully doling it out to serve with leftovers. It's got a good kick, but that is tempered by the cream. I love how you can taste the corn tortilla that is in there and it has just a hint of sweetness.

It's amazing on the flat iron steaks, and I think it pairs pretty well with the sweet potatoes I served on the side too.

For the flank steaks, I prepared a simple marinade with lime juice, olive oil, chile powder, cumin powder, cilantro, green onion and salt and pepper. I marinated the steaks for about an hour while I made everything else.

On the side, I made quinoa with lime juice and zest, green onion, red pepper, cilantro, olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Simple but fresh and delicious. We also made a sweet potato mash, which isn't shown above, but I served at home with leftovers. The sweet potatoes and the sauce go really great together.

One of the perks of class is bringing home a ton of leftovers. We can usually eat our lunches all week without buying any food because I have so much from class. When I came home Wednesday night, Andrew had forgotten to eat dinner. I don't know how that's possible, but he was delighted to have a nice little steak dinner.


Creamy Red Chile Sauce
Adapted from On Cooking by Labensky, Hause and Martel

8 ounces whole butter
1 large onion, roughly chopped
6 garlic cloves, whole, peeled
6-8 New Mexican dried red chiles, stemmed and seeded
1 white corn tortilla, shredded
20 ounces chicken stock
3 ounces heavy cream
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp brown sugar

Soak dried chiles in very hot water for 10 minutes until reconstituted. Cut into large strips.

Heat sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and sauté onions and garlic until browned (about 10 minutes). Add chiles and tortilla pieces and sauté until golden brown. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover loosely and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Puree the sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth and strain through a fine mesh sieve. Add the cream, salt and brown sugar. Stir until combined.

Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.

Yields about 2 cups of sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...