Saturday, March 1, 2014

Winter Interrupted

Evidence of the Viveash Fire from several years ago. Slow recovery.

Every now and then Andrew will say things to me like, "You know what they always say... face the danger," as we're doing a three point turn on a muddy dirt road overlooking a steep canyon wall.

"Hmmm," I say. "I don't think I've heard that one before."

He'll look surprised and squint his eyes at me and ask, "Well, how did you learn to turn around on narrow dirt roads?"

"Ummm, I grew up in Minneapolis," I'll exclaim. "We don't have any roads with the threat of backing off a canyon wall."

And then we'll both smile and laugh at how different we are, and he'll tell me stories about driving on the White Rim trail, and I'll tell him what my aunt always says: "Who needs to learn how to parallel park? That's why they have valet!"

...

We retreated to the Pecos half of the Santa Fe National Forest today to have a taste of moist, humid air, muddy roads and foggy canyons.

This winter has been warm, dry and sunny. It's been utterly depressing. Open windows, gusty wind and blooming juniper... in February. It's been terrible.

We got up this morning with the same routine as every weekend morning - checking the snow report and webcam at the ski resort. We actually had hope this morning since it was overcast with a few drops of water last night. We figured that there must have at least been some moisture on the mountain. One inch in the last 48 hours. This weather is killing me. I try not to think too much about it because it is so upsetting, and there's nothing we can do about it. 

It's almost always raining in the Pecos so we headed out of Santa Fe to see a drainage that I hadn't been to before. We explored in the rain, feeling happy to be out of town. Wet dog girls in the back seat and muddy paw prints on the console. Hoping that some of this moisture will produce some snow and we can ski tomorrow. The story of winter 2014.

Meanwhile, these are the kinds of photos that keep rolling in on texts and Facebook from friends and family in Minnesota... 

2 comments:

  1. Seems like we always want what we don't have or don't take advantage of what we have when we have it. I am so looking forward to temperatures above freezing. Around our parts, we've broken a record this year for number of consecutive days with snow on the ground! A number of days the ski hills in our area have had to close or reduce their lift ticket prices due to extreme cold or wind. I imagine not too much different than Minnesota since most of the state actually lies farther north of where we are in Ontario. The nice thing about the really cold temps has been that you can just dust the snow off, it isn't all wet and messy. Silver linings? I hope you get some snow your way before the end of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! It snows a bunch in the Min!!!! Can't imagine that. I am such a New Mexican! Haha... :)
    ~Felicia

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...