Monday, June 2, 2014

New Orleans


Just a few days after getting back from Zach's graduation, I left for a conference in New Orleans. This was my first time in the city, which I've always wanted to visit. It did not disappoint.

I've heard New Orleans described as a city that lives out loud, and from my short trip, I think that's pretty accurate. The friendly people, the music, the barges on the Mighty Mississip (so far from it's beginning near Lake Itasca), the street cars rattling down the middle of the road. The general hustle and bustle of the city. Even the buildings felt like they were speaking to me.



The foliage was so lush compared to home, and I loved the sweet smell of Magnolias drifting through the air. It rained a lot during the trip, which I was thankful for, and it made the city feel so verdant and extra ALIVE.


I took the Canal street car to the end of the line to vist the New Orleans Art Museum, and poked into  the galleries and shops on Royal and Chartres Streets. I spent a good couple of hours in the Louisiana State Museum visiting the exhibit on Hurricane Katrina, which was very emotional and moving.

While wandering around the French Quarter on Saturday afternoon after the conference had ended, I saw four weddings. The last one of the night was across the street from Domenica. As we were standing there waiting to go in for a drink, the church doors swung open and the band started up. The bride and groom came out dancing with small umbrellas and all of their wedding party behind them with white handkerchiefs. Clearly this is a city that knows how to have fun!


And the food, oh the food! And the cocktails! I think that needs its own post - I'll be back with that.

I loved New Orleans!! It was such a fun city to visit, and I can't wait to go back with Andrew and explore more.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow I'm trying to soak up every inch of your photos - New Orleans is on my wishlist of cities to visit, I'm trying to summon up the resolve to tackle the 9 hour drive it would take to get me there because I know I'd just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to go for so long, and it was amazing. I think a 9 hour drive is totally worth it!!

      Delete
  2. Ommmgggg!!! That was so funny about the wedding party that busted out in front of you! I didn't know that!?! Umbrellas!?! HaHa....2 cute!
    ~~~Felicia

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...