Monday, July 7, 2014

Simple Sunday Supper: Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki and Israeli Salad


We had a heat wave in Santa Fe last week, and I made this meal for dinner on Sunday night. I wanted something simple but tasty. It was light and refreshing, and it provided weeknight leftovers to fuel our after-work mountain bike rides.

Simple Sunday Supper

Tzatziki with toasted pita bread


Greek Meatballs


I've been wanting to make Yotam Ottolenghi's Fattoush recipe, but when I pulled it out late Sunday afternoon, I realized that the recipe advised to start at least three hours and up to a day in advance to make a kind of homemade buttermilk. That wasn't going to happen so I tried Smitten Kitchen's recipe for Israeli Salad instead. I found ground sumac at the Whole Foods. The salad was good, and I would make this again, but it wasn't knock your socks off good.

The Greek meatballs were a big hit though. The bacon cut the strong taste of the lamb making it more mild and the roasted peppers added a nice sweetness.

Greek Meatballs
Slightly adapted from here


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 large shallot, minced
1 pound ground lamb
1/4 pound bacon, finely chopped
1/2 cup roasted bell pepper, finely chopped (I roasted one orange bell pepper and used that)
Salt + pepper to taste

Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add garlic, jalapeño and shallot, and cook for 1 minute, then let cool. Meanwhile, crumble lamb into a large bowl. Add bacon, garlic mixture, and roasted pepper and season with salt and pepper. Gently mix until just combined.

Heat a large cast iron pan over medium to medium high heat. In order to test your seasonings and adjust as needed, form one meatball, approximately 1¼-inch ball, and brown on all sides until cooked through, approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Taste test and adjust if necessary. I found that I needed a little more salt than I had originally added.

Form 1¼-inch balls and repeat the browning process. Work in batches if necessary to avoid over crowding in the pan.

2 comments:

  1. Oh it looks tasty - I love tzatziki and even though I don't eat meat I love the sound of those meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmm......that looks so delish!!!
    ~~~F

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...