Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Eating and Drinking in New Orleans

My main goal for my trip to New Orleans (apart from presenting at and attending a conference for work) was to eat well. Trying to embrace my success in New York, I didn't really plan ahead too much, and that turned out to be fine. There were lots of good choices, and almost all of my meals were spectacular. And you know how picky I am...

I was traveling with a coworker, and on our first night as we strolled around the French Quarter, we decided we really needed a cocktail and some supper. We looked at a few menus, and she said to me, "I'm not picky at all, you can decide." And I said, "Weeeeeeell, I'm too picky and we could walk around all night looking at menus." So, I got out my trusty iPhone, which led us to Lüke for sazeracs, shrimp and grits and étouffée. It was a brilliant way to start off the trip and set the tone for the fabulous eating and drinking that ensued.

For the sake of posterity, what I ate + drank in NOLA:



Sazeracs + Etouffée

Winner for the best meal of the trip. The étouffée was perfect, and because it was my first dinner in New Orleans, all other meals were compared to this one. 


Schrute Farm cocktail with vodka, dry curaçao, beet lemonade and muddled cilantro

Sparkling Mermaid cocktail with guava berry liqueur, Pama, orange juice and cava

The site of my first to go cup in New Orleans. I couldn't finish my drink before my dinner reservation at another restaurant, and the waitress said no problem and dumped my drink into a plastic cup!


The Rub - rye, apple cider vinegar, Angostura bitters and simple syrup - very smooth and very tasty.

Wood fired oysters with chili garlic butter - sadly no photo because I devoured these, but there were sooooo good!

Catfish Courtbouillon


Muffuletta + Coke


The requisite Beignets

A lot like sopapillas only with powdered sugar on top. I'm glad I tried them, but I prefer sopas!


The BEST grapefruit cocktail ever! 

Roasted cauliflower with whipped feta

Octopus carpaccio with fennel and lemon

Pizza (with a lot of meat that I don't remember...)

Winner of the best cocktail. Unfortunately, I do not remember what is in this amazing drink, but it was tart and a little bitter with a strong grapefruit flavor and a gorgeous color. I could drink these all night. 


Bruschetta with goat cheese, roasted butternut squash and kale pesto

Gulf shrimp

...

My goal was definitely accomplished. I'm looking forward to more good eating in NOLA when I go back with Andrew. Surely, there will be some repeats from this list on the next trip!

4 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum! I'm really hoping to get a trip to New Orleans in over the next year...now if I could swing a conference there that would be perfect ;) To-go cocktails? Wow that's my kinda town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! A friend who used to live in LA told me about the to go cups, but I thought he was joking. Or maybe that it was just in the French Quarter, but my first to go cup was at a place that wasn't in a touristy part of town. It made me feel pretty self conscious walking around with it though and I guzzled it down!
    Hope you can get there soon - I think you would like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhhh my!!! I didn't get pics of all that good and drink. You surely accomplished tour culinary goal!!! Hahaaaa.... It all looked lovely!!
    ~~~F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changes those typoz :/ please!?!
    ~F

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...