Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Last Friday Night


After months and months of waiting, I finally went to the Katy Perry concert this weekend in Las Vegas with my sister and best friend. They flew in from Minneapolis and I flew in from Albuquerque, and we met in the airport to start a weekend o' fun. The whole trip was planned around the concert on Friday night, and Katy did not disappoint. She put on an amazing show that still makes my heart beat faster when I think about it.

I told Andrew before I went that the three of us would remember this weekend for the rest of our lives, and I think I am right. I haven't done a trip with girlfriends in years and years, and this was SO.MUCH.FUN! That's really the best way to describe the weekend: pure fun.
This morning someone said to me, "I didn't know you were such a big Katy Perry fan." And, I thought well, I'm not that big of a fan. But, I did travel to another state to see her concert so I guess I'm officially a KatyCat. The last time we went to the cabin, I bought Elsa some little bells for her collar so we could find her more easily when she wanders off, which she always does. They only had tiny kitty bells at the pet store, and we have been jokingly calling her a half cat. This weekend I was happy to call myself a half cat too - a KatyCat that is.


I didn't even know who Katy Perry was a year and a half ago. I had heard her name, but I'm not very good at keeping up with celebrity gossip and the only radio I listen to is NPR. I saw her name in the headlines on Google news, but I didn't know any of her songs or anything about her. Then one night when Andrew was gone, I decided to watch her movie on netflix, which popped up in the recommended for me section. I was immediately smitten with Katy. I am now known to say things like, "her music speaks to so many people and it's no wonder since her lyrics come straight from her diary. She can really relate to people." I say these kinds of lines with total seriousness, and Andrew always jokes that I act like I know her.

When Roar came out, I listened to it on repeat for a couple of months, as I'm known to do. We spent a lot of time in Moab last Thanksgiving singing and dancing to Katy songs. Even Andrew played along, despite the fact that it is no secret that he does not like her music. And that's when the plan was hatched to see Katy in concert. My best friend, who was visiting for Thanksgiving, fell in love with Katy that weekend too so we decided we would see her on the Prismatic Tour.

When the tickets went on sale months ago, we picked a city with a weekend concert that would be affordable to fly to and stay in. I had never been to Las Vegas before this weekend, which everyone seems surprised by. I don't know if it is because New Mexico is so close to Las Vegas and that's why people seem surprised. Honestly it has never occurred to me to go to Las Vegas. It's really not my kind of thing. We made the most of it though. Plus, we got to keep referencing That's What You Get for Waking up in Vegas all weekend!


I worked on my outfit for a couple of weeks. I knew I wanted loud leggings and lots of neon and bright colors. My sister taught me how to apply eye liner and I wore bright pink lipstick. We wore glow necklaces and bracelets, and I wore my vintage kitty cat pin from my jean jacket circa 1986. I think it was perfect.


I have never been to a concert like this. When I was young, I wanted desperately to see New Kids on the Block, but I never got to go. I expected it to be full of kids, but it was mostly adults. Lots of people in costumes and homemade t-shirts and blue wigs. Everyone full of excitement and totally pumped to see her.


Katy was clearly was having fun performing and the audience was in love with her. The energy in the arena felt like we were all at one big party. Everyone was so happy.


Her concert was quite the production with lots of costume changes and videos and lights, but she also really connected with the audience. When she gave a pizza to some kids in the audience, she said that she couldn't eat gluten and that they should watch out because your body changes when you turn 29. A woman behind us exclaimed, "it sure does, Katy!" She took lots of selfies with people in the audience and invited a woman up on stage for the birthday song. She flew around over the audience under giant balloons. She totally committed and rocked it for the whole show. Pure FUN!


This Friday night, do it all again. I wish!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like so much funnnnn!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is good to have GIRL TIME! it really is. sometimes it just revives the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, totally and i don't get enough of it so this was an amazing weekend

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...