Friday, November 14, 2014

Pick-Me-Up Paloma


Winter hit us with a force this week in Santa Fe. It's all relative, but it sure felt cold and dreary. My favorite pick-me-up this time of year is citrus. I made palomas for a get together with some girlfriends last night, and I thought I'd share the recipe. I made grapefruit simple syrup using the technique from my favorite grapefruit cake to work the zest into the sugar before I added water. I think it made the drink extra grapefruit-y. The picture from above is from a few months ago when it wasn't dark at 5:00 pm every day. Obviously, palomas are good any time of the year!

Paloma

2 ounces tequila
4 tablespoons grapefruit simple syrup
Juice of half a lime
Club soda
Pink grapefruit for garnish

Fill a glass with ice. Add tequila, grapefruit simple syrup and lime juice. Stir gently. Top with club soda. Garnish with grapefruit peel or slice.

Makes 1 drink.

Grapefruit Simple Syrup

3/4 cup sugar
One large pink grapefruit
1 1/2 cups water
(I like my simple syrup on the less sweet side, but if you prefer it sweeter use 1:1 ratio of sugar to water.)

Finely grate the zest from the grapefruit. On a cutting board, combine sugar and grapefruit zest. Using a bench scraper or a fork, work the zest into the sugar until fully combined. Transfer sugar to a small sauce pan.

Quarter the grapefruit and add to the sauce pan. Add water. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour syrup through a strainer.

4 comments:

  1. i am crazy for grapefruit! i am going to have one this afternoon and i cannot wait to dig in to it!!!

    grapefruit in alcohol form sounds fab. i don't think i have tried that yet, and palomas sound fab!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you enjoy it!! I love all things grapefruit.

      Delete
  2. Yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...