Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas at Home 2014

Every year, she tries to eat her headbands!
This is the second year in a row that Andrew and I will spend Christmas alone together in Santa Fe. I am sad to not be with our families and far-away friends, but I really love our holiday traditions at home too.

Santa Fe is a lovely place to spend the holidays. It is truly festive with a real spirit of holiday cheer in the air. I think it definitely helps me feel more festive to be able to spend time outdoors without being miserably cold.


No matter what we do for Christmas, I have found that the end of the year is always a little hectic and stressful. I usually find myself making unhealthy decisions this time of year and feeling guilty about it. This year, I tried to be very conscious of giving myself a break, not taking on too much and letting go of the guilt involved with over-eating, over-spending and over-indulging that comes with the holidays. I have only partially succeeded in being easier on myself, but it's a start!


This year has been busy and a bit overwhelming with so much traveling, but I wanted to have a fun and festive December so I made a list of the holiday activities that I wanted to do and tried to say no to everything else. This list includes decorating a tree, attending a holiday concert, skiing on Christmas Eve followed by the faralito walk on Canyon Road and party at our friends' house, watching Christmas movies, drinking Champagne and making a big Christmas dinner.


We decorated the house with mistletoe in the doorway, a wreath on the front door, Christmas stockings for the girls, twinkly lights and tiny ornaments on the rosemary plant and a big tree with a handmade skirt from Andrew's aunt. It was only a few years ago that we didn't have very many ornaments, but this year we bought a bigger tree to fit them all. We paid to have the guys at the Christmas tree lot install a tree stand. We usually use our own stand, and it is always an ordeal that often involves securing the tree to the wall with a cable. We decorated our tree, watched the Charlie Brown Christmas movie, drank Champagne and ate pizza. We woke up the next morning to discover that the tree stand was leaking! What a way to start the holidays! They gave us a new stand, and we successfully managed to switch them without having to take down all of our decorations.

We aren't big gift-givers in my family, but Andrew's family exchanges lots of gifts. This year he was in charge of buying gifts, and I was in charge of making gifts. Andrew picked out small but thoughtful gifts to buy for those on our list, and I made lavender linen spray, grapefruit soap, turtles and granola to send along in the packages.


I am ready for a cozy Christmas at home. Thank goodness it involves matching fleecies!


Merry Christmas 2014!

1 comment:

  1. That tree is huge! Those pictures of the girls make me homesick!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...