Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pretzel Turtles


I made these to send to our families in their Christmas packages, but we have been sneaking them all week because they are so good. You can't go wrong with chocolate, caramel, pecans and salty pretzels.

Every year for Christmas for as long as I can remember, we give my dad a box of turtles, and I think it is one of his favorite gifts. Last year I sent our families all homemade gifts, and I didn't want to leave out the turtles for my dad so I found this recipe. These turtles are incredibly easy to make, which isn't usually a criteria I consider when planning my cooking adventures, but at this time of year with all the hubbub of the holidays, a quick recipe is really appreciated.


Pretzel Turtles

35 mini pretzels
35 individually wrapped caramel candies
35 whole pecan halves
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the pecan halves in a single layer on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes, shaking the pan once halfway through, until they're lightly toasted. Remove them after they're toasted and put them on a plate to cool.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Arrange the pretzels neatly on the pan, then top each pretzel with an unwrapped caramel. Place the pan into the oven for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the caramels are softened but definitely not melting. Remove the pan from the oven. Gently press a pecan half onto each caramel, just enough for the caramel to fill the pretzel. Set them aside to cool.

Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Spoon small dollops (1 1/2 teaspoons or so) of chocolate over each pretzel. Allow them to cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...