Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mélisse Bourbon Sour


I normally like to drink my bourbon neat, but this winter, I've experimented with some bourbon mixed drinks. This is my favorite - it's light and frothy from the egg white, a little tart from the lemon and just the right amount of sweet to balance it all out. An added bonus is that we almost always have all the ingredients on hand. It is made with bourbon, lemon juice, egg white, simple syrup and Angostura bitters. While it's easy to whip up, it feels like a special treat.

The recipe calls for Buffalo Trace specifically, which delights me because of its connection to our wedding, but I think you could use any bourbon you have on hand.

Mélisse Bourbon Sour
From Saveur

2 oz. Buffalo Trace bourbon
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
¾ oz. simple syrup
White of one large egg
Angostura bitters

Place bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup, and egg white in a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Tap glass bottom to disperse air bubbles. Once foam gathers on top, garnish with 4 drops Angostura bitters & carefully swirl them into a design.

2 comments:

  1. You should have put an "M" and an "A" right on top! ;)
    ~~~F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried!! It's actually really hard to create any intentional designs with the bitters. I'm totally impressed with the bartenders who make such pretty designs!

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...